- Established the “Fix the System” coalition to engage business leaders in fixing and safeguarding democracy
- Launched the first political reform podcast hosted by a Republican about draining the swamp.
- Helped secure $425 million in election security funding for states and also strong measures to help deter further foreign influence in elections as part of our “Don’t Mess with US” project.
- Worked to extend the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress for another year.
- Championed fixing the broken Federal Election Commission through reports, visibility projects, and legislation shaped by Issue One that passed the House of Representatives.
- Launched the inaugural Theodore Roosevelt Courage Awards to recognize Republicans and Democrats in the House and Senate for their work as bipartisan champions to fix the broken political system.
- Published deep-dive research into poor political ad policies on Facebook, Twitter, Google that helped pressure social media platforms to overhaul their political ad policies before the 2020 election.
- Continued recruiting dozens of Republicans and Democrats to legislation that would protect against foreign influence in elections, including 39 sponsors from both parties in the House and Senate of the Honest Ads Act (HAA).
- Organized more than a dozen organizations from across the political spectrum to call on presidential candidates to disclose their campaign bundlers.
- Led the coalition that worked with Republican and Democratic senators to pass the Senate Campaign Disclosure Parity Act, the first bipartisan political reform legislation signed into law in decades.
- Played a critical role in the creation of the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress.
- Supported the launch of the first bipartisan Caucus in Congress ever established to discuss crosspartisan political reform that is now part of the Bipartisan Working Group.
- Issued the definitive report on dark money in elections since Citizens United and recruited sponsors to the bipartisan Political Accountability & Transparency Act (PATA) to close dark money loopholes and end political slush funds in Congress.
- Wrote the definitive report on ethics in Congress over the past decade and helped overhaul of sexual harassment policies in Congress.
- Watchdogged one of the oldest dark money groups — Americans for Job Security — for failing to file mandatory tax returns — and as a result, it eventually lost its tax-exempt status.
- Recruited more than 200 former members of Congress, governors, and Cabinet secretaries from all 50 states (one of whom returned to Congress after learning about Issue One’s critical work).
- Helped successfully defend the Office of Congressional Ethics after Congress tries to kill the independent watchdog.
- Recruited former Representative Zach Wamp (R-TN) to lead our ReFormers Caucus with former Ambassadors Tim Roemer (D-IN) and Connie Morella (R-MD).
- Supported a dozen Republicans and Democrats as they introduce a bill to overhaul the FEC — the first truly bipartisan political reform measure in almost a decade.
- Launched “Democracy = National Security” — a project to connect how the broken political system damages America’s strength at home and abroad.
- Helped craft the bipartisan, bicameral “Honest Ads Act” — the first legislation written directly in response to Russia’s attack on our political system in the 2016 elections.
- Inspired the launch of the “Congressional Reformers Caucus” — the first organization of its kind on Capitol Hill to focus exclusively on political reform. It was created with 19 members of Congress from both parties.
- Hosted an all-day, crosspartisan summit at the Brookings Institution about how to fix the political system.
- Partnered with the U.S. Archives and the U.S. Association of former members of Congress to discuss the 40th anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court case, Buckley v. Valeo.
- CEO Nick Penniman co-authored “Nation on the Take” with Wendell Potter.
- Helped draft the bipartisan “EPIC Act,” a bill to combat foreign money in U.S. elections.
- Recruited former Homeland Security Secretary Gov. Tom Ridge (R-PA) to Issue One’s ReFormers Caucus, increasing membership to 150.
- ReFormers Caucus released its policy framework to return the government to the American people.
- Recruited former Ambassador to India and 9/11 Commissioner, Rep. Tim Roemer (D-IN) to lead our ReFormers Caucus with former Ambassador and Rep. Connie Morella (R-MD).
- Launched its ReFormers Caucus with more than 100 former elected officials, chaired by former Ambassadors Tim Roemer (D-IN) and Connie Morella (R-MD).
- Partnered with the Campaign Legal Center to release “Blueprints for Democracy,” a groundbreaking report on political reforms at the city and state levels.