Issue One’s Policy and Programs team advocates to strengthen ethics and accountability in government and our political system with common-sense solutions that resonate across the aisle.
A policy framework generated by a bipartisan working group of the ReFormers Caucus
The framework lays out specific proposals for returning our government to the representative path the founders envisioned, and is intended to serve as a starting point for bipartisan conversations in Washington. Implemented together, the proposals in the framework would “drain the swamp” and sever the money connection between powerful private interests and our elected government.
Take a deeper dive into Issue One’s policy-focused resources.
Official statements on breaking news and important events.
- Issue One Statement on OCE report regarding Rep. Chris Collins (R-NY)
- Issue One statement on mistrial in corruption case of Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ)
- Issue One Statement on President Trump’s nomination of Trey Trainor to the Federal Election Commission
- Anonymous political donations to government sources are a nonstarter
- Political Facebook ads show that U.S. election laws have trouble keeping up with digital advertising platforms
- Issue One statement on campaign finance related-riders in House Appropriations Committee markup of government funding bill
- Statement of Meredith McGehee on Rep. Nunes (R-CA): This is why the Office of Congressional Ethics was created
- Issue One Statement on President Trump’s Lobbying Executive Order
- Statement of Meredith McGehee: Rather than “drain the swamp,” the Washington establishment is flooding it
- Statement of Nick Penniman: Donald Trump rides into the White House on a wave of populism and now it is time to reform the system
Letters Issue One has signed onto with other partners in the ethics and money-in-politics reform communities.
- Groups Urge Congress to Support the Bipartisan Special Counsel Integrity Act (December 21, 2017)
- Groups Urge Congress to Strengthen the Law Requiring Disclosure of Lobbying for Foreign Interests (December 19, 2017)
- Groups Endorse Bill to Increase Access to Congressionally Mandated Reports (December 13, 2017)
- Groups Call on Senators to Support theSenate Campaign Disclosure Parity Act (November 13, 2017)
- Groups Call on Facebook to Support Honest Ads Act (October 30, 2017)
- Groups Call on Google to Support Honest Ads Act (October 30, 2017)
- Groups Urge Senators to Support and Cosponsor the Honest Ads Act (October 20, 2017)
- Groups Oppose Campaign Finance Riders in House Financial Services Appropriations Bill (September 7, 2017)
- Recommendations on How the CBO Can Improve Its Transparency (June 19, 2017)
- Letter to House Committee on Financial Services Chair Jeb Hensarling on FOIA Guidance (May 9, 2017)
- The Annual Report on White House Personnel (May 1, 2017)
- Civil Society Comments on FARA (April 7, 2017)
- Non-Disclosure Agreements of Congressional Members and Staff (February 9, 2017)
- Letter to Committee on House Administration Opposing HR133 and HR 634 (February 6, 2017)
- Speaker Ryan Must Oppose Rep. Goodlatte’s OCE Proposal (January 3, 2017)
- Representatives Must Oppose Rep. Goodlatte’s Proposal (January 3, 2017)
- Congress Must Reauthorize Office of Congressional Ethics (December 21, 2016)
- Bipartisan Letter to Trump Calling for Full Divestment of His Business into a True Blind Trust (December 9, 2016)
- Letter to Donald Trump on Divestment from Business Assets (November 17, 2016)
Issue One’s policy explainer series explores different policy ideas included in Issue One’s ReFormers Caucus legislative framework, Returning Government to the American People. The series highlights historical examples, examines current state programs and discusses what effects the policies might have.
- A Package of Ethics Reforms for 115th Congress
- Fixing the Federal Election Commission
- The Honest Ads Act
- Keeping Foreign Money Out of Our Elections
- The Senate Campaign Disclosure Parity Act
- Strengthening the Office of Government Ethics
- Taking the Pulse of Americans about the Current Dysfunctional System and Possible Solutions
- Tax Credits and Rebates for Small-Dollar Contributions
Detailed, original reports and factsheets from Issue One.