Issue One’s Policy and Programs team advocates to strengthen ethics and accountability in government and our political system with common-sense solutions that resonate across the aisle.
A policy framework generated by a bipartisan working group of the ReFormers Caucus
The framework lays out specific proposals for returning our government to the representative path the founders envisioned, and is intended to serve as a starting point for bipartisan conversations in Washington. Implemented together, the proposals in the framework would “drain the swamp” and sever the money connection between powerful private interests and our elected government.
Take a deeper dive into Issue One’s policy-focused resources.
Official statements on breaking news and important events.
- Statement of Meredith McGehee on Rep. Nunes (R-CA): This is why the Office of Congressional Ethics was created
- Issue One Statement on President Trump’s Lobbying Executive Order
- Statement of Meredith McGehee: Rather than “drain the swamp,” the Washington establishment is flooding it
- Statement of Nick Penniman: Donald Trump rides into the White House on a wave of populism and now it is time to reform the system
Letters Issue One has signed onto with other partners in the ethics and money-in-politics reform communities.
- Letter to House Committee on Financial Services Chair Jeb Hensarling on FOIA Guidance (May 9, 2017)
- The Annual Report on White House Personnel (May 1, 2017)
- Civil Society Comments on FARA (April 7, 2017)
- Non-Disclosure Agreements of Congressional Members and Staff (February 9, 2017)
- Letter to Committee on House Administration Opposing HR133 and HR 634 (February 6, 2017)
- Speaker Ryan Must Oppose Rep. Goodlatte’s OCE Proposal (January 3, 2017)
- Representatives Must Oppose Rep. Goodlatte’s Proposal (January 3, 2017)
- Congress Must Reauthorize Office of Congressional Ethics (December 21, 2016)
- Bipartisan Letter to Trump Calling for Full Divestment of His Business into a True Blind Trust (December 9, 2016)
- Letter to Donald Trump on Divestment from Business Assets (November 17, 2016)
Issue One’s policy explainer series explores different policy ideas included in Issue One’s ReFormers Caucus legislative framework, Returning Government to the American People. The series highlights historical examples, examines current state programs and discusses what effects the policies might have.