Reports to: Executive Director
Issue One is a nonpartisan, nonprofit advocacy organization that is uniting Republicans, Democrats, and independents in the movement for political reform. Issue One’s ReFormers Caucus of more than 200 former members of Congress, governors, and Cabinet officials is the largest bipartisan coalition of its kind ever assembled to advocate for solutions to strengthen our democracy. Issue One is building a multi-year initiative to win game-changing federal legislation that gets big money out of politics and fixes our broken political system.
Issue One seeks a dependable, focused and productive Program Coordinator to provide essential administrative, programmatic and policy support to a fast-growing, high-impact organization. The Program Coordinator assists the department across all programs, is the primary scheduler for Congressional meetings, oversees organizational event planning and provides executive assistance to the Executive Director. This is a great position for a career in political nonprofits with room for promotion and growth within the organization.
Legislative Scheduling and Policy (~50%)
- Serve as the primary point of contact scheduling meetings with congressional offices for both the legislative team and consultants
- Assemble collateral packets for congressional meetings, staff congressional meetings (as needed), enter meeting notes into the database, record lobbying information in the lobbying tracker and maintain the list of congressional offices the organization has met with
- Maintain congressional database (Congressplus) daily
- Assist with legislative research and analysis
- Write policy memos for both internal and external use
- Work inter-departmentally in planning and executing organizational events ( ex. legislative briefings, panels on Capitol Hill, and fundraising events) that support IO’s organizational goals
- Manage details large and small and see projects through to completion
- Coordinate with pertinent project teams to ensure event goals are met
- Attend relevant outside events in DC on behalf of Issue One
General Programs Support (~20%)
- Assist the department with the administrative management of the ReFormers Caucus
- Assist the department with both long and short term research projects
Administrative Support (<10%)
- Assist Executive Director with scheduling and calendar management
- Manage Executive Director’s travel arrangements and assist with expense reporting, tracking time allocation and lobbying compliance
- Other administrative work as assigned
- Demonstrated passion for American politics and fixing democracy
- Commitment to building a more inclusive and equitable political system
- Candidate must have at least one year of experience (including relevant internships)
- Exceptionally strong writing and oral communication skills
- Must keep self and work files organized
- Demonstrated ability to be entrusted with sensitive information and conduct daily activities with the utmost professionalism and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to manage details, solve problems, and follow through on assignments with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels of the organization including: staff, consultants, colleagues, board, donors, and the general public
- Must be courteous and professional in all written and verbal communications
- Must have strong personal work ethic and time management skills
- Demonstrated experience with software including: Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong attention to detail; demonstrated experience with copy editing a plus
- A can-do attitude is a must!
This will be a full-time position based in Washington, D.C.
Salary & Benefits
$42,000-$45,000. Issue One offers a competitive benefits package for all full-time employees.
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter in a single document, labeled with your name and “Program Coordinator” in the subject line to email@example.com. Please also include how you found out about the position opening.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications, we will unfortunately not be able to acknowledge receipt of all applications. No phone calls, please.
Issue One is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. Issue One places a high value on fostering an inclusive workplace, and we are committed to building a team as diverse as the American people. We do not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions based on race, religion, gender, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, political affiliation, pregnancy, disability, or any other status protected by law. Individuals from across the political spectrum who are passionate about fixing our broken political system are strongly encouraged to apply.