Summer 2021 Internship
Issue One is a nonpartisan, nonprofit advocacy organization that is uniting Republicans, Democrats, and independents in the movement for political reform. Issue One’s ReFormers Caucus of more than 200 former members of Congress, governors, and Cabinet officials is the largest bipartisan coalition of its kind ever assembled to advocate for solutions to strengthen our democracy. Issue One is building a multi-year initiative to win game-changing federal legislation that gets big money out of politics and fixes our broken political system.
Issue One is seeking a summer intern interested in strengthening American democracy through crosspartisan advocacy. We hope to hire an intern who can think strategically as well as be versatile and open-minded, like the rest of our team.
Our interns are integral members of the team. We are a small but growing office where you will gain hands-on experience in bipartisan outreach and advocacy, communications and messaging tactics, legislative affairs, working with current and former elected officials, and much more. We also work closely with other reform organizations and will give you an expansive look at the important work being done nationwide to rebuild American democracy.
- Assist in research, administration and logistics in mobilizing Issue One’s ReFormers Caucus — the largest bipartisan group of former elected officials committed to fixing political dysfunction
- Support our Legislative team by completing policy briefs, drafting policy memorandum, and conducting independent legislative research
- Support our Research department with both short- and long-term money-in-politics-related research projects
- Support our Communications department by monitoring key reform issues in the media and writing blog posts for our website
- Attend and report back on virtual events and congressional hearings
- Other administrative tasks as assigned
- Demonstrated interest in democracy, American politics and political advocacy
- Self-starter who can see projects through to completion
- Commitment to building a more inclusive and equitable political system
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to try new things
- Demonstrated ability to generate ideas and adapt to new projects
- Strong organizational abilities and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, as well as with a team
This will be a part-time, remote internship.
This intern will be expected to work 16 hours weekly. Exact start and end dates have some flexibility, though ideally the internship would start on, or around, Monday, May 17th, and end on, or around, Thursday, August 5th. Issue One offers compensation in the form of a stipend of $120 a day (the equivalent of $15 an hour).
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter in a single document, labeled with your name and “Summer Internship Application” in the subject line to email@example.com. Please include how you heard about the position and complete the self-identification questionnaire.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the volume of applications, we will unfortunately not be able to acknowledge receipt of all applications. No phone calls please.
Issue One is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. Issue One places a high value on fostering an inclusive workplace, and we are committed to building a team as diverse as the American people. We do not make hiring or advancement, or other employment decisions based on race, religion, gender, gender identity & expression, sexual orientation, political affiliation, pregnancy, disability, or any other status protected by law. Individuals from across the political spectrum who are passionate about fixing our broken political system are strongly encouraged to apply.