Voting in 2020
Ensuring that the 2020 November election is safe, secure, and fair
In light of the unprecedented disruption posed by the coronavirus pandemic, and as a continuation of our work to protect the integrity of our elections, Issue One has been working tirelessly to make sure Americans can cast their vote safely and securely this November.
Our work advocates for measures such as expanded early voting, absentee voting, and safe in-person voting. Central to this effort, Issue One has been organizing with partners in both parties in Congress and around the nation, as well as groups from across the political spectrum to win increased federal funding to states so they are able to offer a range of ways to safely vote.
We’re running a vigorous lobbying operation on Capitol Hill; we launched a robust social media campaign with members of the Fix the System Coalition to build public support in targeted states; we were quoted in the media as a leading voice on the topic; and we played a key role in coordinating efforts nationwide.
Our work played an instrumental role in winning a much-needed down payment of $400 million in funding in the Phase III stimulus bill to help states prepare for their elections. We continue to work to ensure states get the resources they need in time for the November elections.
- Op-ed by former Secretaries of Defense Chuck Hagel and Leon Panetta with ReFormers Caucus Co-chairs Tim Roemer and Zach Wamp: “Congress must act to protect the legitimacy of the election this fall” (July 8, 2020)
- Letter to Congress: Issue One warns of inaction on election funding, calls for passage of new legislation before August recess (June 29, 2020)
- Statement: We cannot leave our elections to chance (June 24, 2020)
- States need more federal funding for elections, report finds (June 19, 2020)
- Op-ed by Issue One ReFormers Caucus Co-chairs Amb. Tim Roemer (D-N) and Rep. Zach Wamp (R-TN): Congress Must Help States Avoid a Perfect Storm Looming Over November Election (June 15, 2020)
- ReFormers Co-chair Statement: A perfect storm of election chaos is brewing (June 10, 2020)
- Crosspartisan groups to Congress: Draft an emergency preparedness plan now to continue to govern during crisis (May 13, 2020)
- Op-ed by Issue One ReFormers Caucus Co-chair Rep. Zach Wamp (R-TN) and Issue One Executive Director Meredith McGehee: “How Congress must aid states to ensure safe and secure elections” (April 15, 2020)
- Washington Post opinion piece citing Issue One’s work: “We need to pay for our democracy” by Jennifer Rubin (March 25, 2020)
- Statement: Issue One applauds downpayment on voting assistance in stimulus bill, calls on Congress to provide more resources in future measures (March 25, 2020)
- Statement: The COVID-19 crisis illustrates the need for a stable democracy and secure, free, and fair elections (March 20, 2020)
- Letter from Michael Steele and the U.S. Vote Foundation to the Senate Rules Committee urging funding for state
- Bipartisan Policy Center: The November Presidential Election Needs Emergency Federal Funding
- National Conference of State Legislatures: State Laws Governing Early Voting
“In the midst of a presidential election year, about two-thirds (66%) say they wouldn’t feel comfortable going to a polling place to vote.”March 2020 Pew Poll
Fix the System ad:
Issue One ad: