Citizens for a Strong Democracy, Issue One’s National Council on Election Integrity, and the National Task Force on Election Crises held a joint press briefing today about why a seamless transition is essential for national security.
A peaceful and timely transfer of power was defined as essential to national security by the 9/11 Commission. Responsible stewardship of our democracy requires that the transition be given the resources and services it needs now.
The briefing featured:
- Former Secretary of Homeland Security and Gov. Janet Napolitano (D-AZ)
- Former Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, member of the National Task Force on Election Crises and the National Council on Election Integrity
- Retired Adm. Bill Owens, member of the National Council on Election Integrity and former vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the second most senior military officer in the United States
- Former Gov. Tom Kean (R-NJ), former chairman of the 9/11 Commission
- Former Amb. Tim Roemer (D-IN), former member of the 9/11 Commission, former congressman from Indiana, and member of the National Council on Election Integrity
Citizens for a Strong Democracy is a nonpartisan, nonprofit with a primary purpose to strengthen public confidence in the election systems and the results of the vote.
The National Council on Election Integrity — a bipartisan group of more than 40 government, political, and civic leaders who are devoted to defending the legitimacy of our elections — is a project of Issue One, a cross-partisan political reform organization based in Washington, D.C.
The National Task Force on Election Crises is a diverse, cross-partisan group of more than 50 experts in election law, election administration, national security, cybersecurity, voting rights, civil rights, technology, media, public health, and emergency response. The Task Force’s focus is ensuring that the election runs smoothly during challenging circumstances, that disputes are handled in a way that maximizes confidence in the outcome, and that there is a peaceful transition or continuation of power on January 20, 2021. The only electoral outcome the Task Force advocates is that the election is free and fair.