The Honest Ads Act
Issue One's one-stop-shop for everything you need to know about legislation to combat the problem of hidden foreign disinformation campaigns by implementing a disclosure system for paid, online political advertising.
The bipartisan, bicameral Honest Ads Act is the best first step to stopping hidden, foreign disinformation campaigns in our elections. The bill would implement a commonsense disclosure system for paid, online political advertising, closely modeled on longstanding Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules for paid political advertising on television and radio. The act addresses deficiencies in political disclosure rules that allow foreign actors to influence American politics anonymously through paid online advertising.
- Review the in-depth policy explainer on how the Honest Ads Act would work
- Read the bill text and see who sponsors the legislation in the House and the Senate
- Here is what the Honest Ads Act would and would not do, in plain English
- Find out which major tech companies support the Honest Ads Act
- Dive into this peer-reviewed research study on digital loopholes that allow foreign interference in U.S. elections
- View a letter from more than 115 ReFormers Caucus members urging support for the Honest Ads Act
- Issue One press release from 116th Congress re-introduction: Republicans and Democrats in both chambers unite to protect U.S. elections from foreign actors
- Most of divisive Facebook ads were paid for by ‘suspicious’ groups
- How Russian Facebook Ads Divided and Targeted U.S. Voters Before the 2016 Election
- This is the best first step to stop Russian meddling in our politics
- Close social media loopholes to protect upcoming U.S. elections